What about art and artists?

Hello everybody,

I'd like to know how the art and the artists are managed in the game (if it is planned already).

Could a player develop art habilities (painting, sculpture, music, ornaments, etc), making Blueprints of their artworks and then selling (or exchanging) them to providers, stores, individuals, etc?

Could these artworks be admired on exhibitions, museums, festivals, competitions (in Alioth) and be awarded?

Could (for instance) exist a music billboard and radiostations, showing the preferences of the public in Alioth, about the songs that music players record for the game?

Well, some ideas shown here. I think that if someone is an artist in his "first life", why not being it also in Alioth, and get a profit for it (ingame money)? :rolleyes:

Greetings.

PS: sorry if there is some writing fault. English is not my mother language (although  I love it).

I dont see why you couldnt construct a mural or something similar. Just like any other construct you can make a blueprint of it. Same rules apply.

But I am not sure where you got the music idea from. As far as I know there are no plans to implement musical tools in the game. Hey I work with D.A.W.'s myself so I agree it would be cool. But I've never seen or heard it being brought up by NQ.

If you have a source talking about music creation in DU I'd be very interested.

Unless I misunderstood your question. :)

For 2D : make a frame out of vowel and then apply different colors to it to paint patterns and stuff

For 3D : sculptures :3

I'm sure people would buy art to decorate their constructs or territories.

As for music I never heard of anything of the sort implemented but who knows if you push for it and get the support of the community it might happen later on!

I would give you my support already!

The painting ability will be in the game. It's in the pre-alpha build, though it was quite new on 20/09, so we didn't have access to the ability.

I know there will be rough painting, but for the precise ones for the moment I don't know. As Captain said, it would need more precision.

Well yea precision all depends on the size of the painting.

You wont be able to make a 1:1 version of the Mona lisa but if you scale it up there is no reason why you couldnt replicate it.

In the case of paintings I think its best to think of murals. I doubt canvas will be a thing at release.

Well yea precision all depends on the size of the painting.

You wont be able to make a 1:1 version of the Mona lisa but if you scale it up there is no reason why you couldnt replicate it.

In the case of paintings I think its best to think of murals. I doubt canvas will be a thing at release.

That's what I also expect, mosaics or frescos on the wall, with some clever use of color-bleeding between micro-voxels (which given how the engine handles, are totally possible as it seems).

We may instead find that without small voxels, we would just have huge art. Imagine an art gallery that is meant ro be viewed from a spaceship, or that is displayed around the outside of a space station and viewed from a distance (making it appear smaller). You could have an art museum station that is fairly small with a great number of windows and display huge art pieces all around it. Artists might have to attach ship components to the back end of their giant painting to haul it from station to station

Hey, thank you all for the feedback, i found very interesting the ideas and details you exposed. I hope the devs are reading us carefuly. And little by little the game become in a high level of fun and beauty.

About the music issue, I meant that we'd first develop the hability and then we would be able to upload in the game the music we recorded in our real room/study/garage (although if the game gives their own tools to make it, it's also fine for me). After making a blueprint of it, we could sell copies of the songs, and even some organization could pay ingame money for publishing it massively in Alioth, making perhaps a contract with the artist. The thing is, If Alioth is not the Earth and people lives in Alioth, the music that will be heard comes from the artists in Alioth (with the exception, perhaps, in case the Arkship have carried tons of old CDs from Earth, hahhaa).

About the music issue, I meant that we'd first develop the hability and then we would be able to upload in the game the music we recorded in our real room/study/garage (although if the game gives their own tools to make it, it's also fine for me).

Because I work with music myself I agree that it would be nice being able to create music in the game. But because of my background I also realise how difficult the subject is. Lets argue that NQ is able to implement their version of a music composing program it would be a mine field legally. The industry does not like people making copies of licensed music and it gets even more ugly because NQ would be technically making money from it.

I'm not a lawyer so there might be some loophole. But as far as I know it would be an uncomfortable situation. Thats not even touching on the subject of it being a smart investment of resources.

Uploading your own music is equally tricky. Someone would have to approve it. Althoug I dont think its impossible to have an algorithm that can identify songs.

Something like shazam. Again you would have to avoid uploading copyrighted content. Its not like streaming songs.

In the end its always a cost vs benefit situation. Would it be cool? Hell yeah.

No doubt about that. ;)

All the fallacies aside, imagine roaming around the outer rim of the inhabited systems and picking up a radiosignal - people becoming personalities in-game, something along the lines of Three Dog in Fallout 3. 

It would really contribute to the atmosphere, especially in the vastness of space.

• 2 months later...

I hope you can shut those radio signal off <3 i dont want to hear a 12 year old bragging on the radio how his 10 meter hoverbike is superior to a destroyer or cruiser and getting all mad when people dont like him lol.

• 2 months later...

Paintings:

Instead of just using boxes of color to make a mosaic why not use the create and edit shapes? We already know for one of the Dev videos that you can make an box shape and then use a circle shape to edit it. It would be like sculpting but it an flat area.

Music:

This might be a long shot, but we can use LUA language to script an A.I. in the cockpit of a ship right? Which means we maybe be able to record voices or use preset alert tones already in the games. So we might be able to create music via recordings or playing tones in an order.

It would something like an concert since it would be tried to your computer and not the server.