Lets play grand theft spaceship

friendlytyrant03

From the latest AMA video, JC indicated damage would occure to mesh elements, with a "damage bubble" that would destroy voxels around the element and kill or harm avatars located within the "damage bubble".

I would assume destruction of the core unit will create a rather large "damage bubble".

A good designer would stratigically place their DPUs around the core unit, thereby ensuring their destuction as well.  This would turn the entire ship into a giant pile of "Legos".  You wouldn't have a usable construct after the destruction of the core unit.

You COULD replace the core unit, and tie a cockpit to some thrusters.  But I'm betting you're going to have a LOT of reconstruction before the thing is usable in any sort of fashion.

You may have the damage bubble mechanic a bit backwards.

Successful hits from attacks create a damage bubble, damaging elements, destroying voxels, and damaging players within that bubble. Destroyed elements don't create a damage bubble, the damage bubble destroys elements. If there is some kind of chain-reaction mechanic it hasn't been announced yet to my knowledge.

Good point!

But even if my attacks create the damage bubble, the DPUs will most likely be caught in that damage bubble as well.  Maybe not all of them, but a significant portion of the ship would still be rendered useless.

From the latest AMA video, JC indicated damage would occure to mesh elements, with a "damage bubble" that would destroy voxels around the element and kill or harm avatars located within the "damage bubble".

I would assume destruction of the core unit will create a rather large "damage bubble".

A good designer would stratigically place their DPUs around the core unit, thereby ensuring their destuction as well.  This would turn the entire ship into a giant pile of "Legos".  You wouldn't have a usable construct after the destruction of the core unit.

You COULD replace the core unit, and tie a cockpit to some thrusters.  But I'm betting you're going to have a LOT of reconstruction before the thing is usable in any sort of fashion.

Core Units are not Reactors. They are computers that hold data like knowledge and coordination epicenters for the construct on the server, along with RDMS permissions.

You are doomed. I'm still coming after your ships.

"Damage Bubbles" will exist whether the core unit creates them, or the attacker creates them.  Either way, DPUs will be damaged.

No Worries..

Even if they remain intact, I have nefarious plans on how to render the rest of the ship useless

It's also called "wishful thinking"

You're spouting assumptions as fact.

so im not the only one thinking that :)

I see it as a fairly big problem, since this wish full thinking is spewed out as facts there by twisting the truth, In part it's what went wrong with games like no mans sky.

so im not the only one thinking that :)

I see it as a fairly big problem, since this wish full thinking is spewed out as facts there by twisting the truth, In part it's what went wrong with games like no mans sky.

Hey, I'm not just assuming that mecha space furries are going to be a playable race, I KNOW they are! Plus you'll be able to DATE ALIENS. The Devs said it... somewhere....

I'm imagining space "chop shops" where acquired ships are taken to be repaired/reprocessed. 

By the way, is there any word on how deconstruction will work? If elements are removed from a ship, can they be reused or turned into other things?

I'm imagining space "chop shops" where acquired ships are taken to be repaired/reprocessed. 

By the way, is there any word on how deconstruction will work? If elements are removed from a ship, can they be reused or turned into other things?

Not that I'm aware of, but I imagine you'll be able to just get all the material back when deconstructing things you own, otherwise modifying constructs on-the-fly (without entering that designer virtual space) could become really frustrating. Maybe limitations can apply to constructs you bought.

I would imagine that a "mesh element" such as a turret, or engine would be reusable or resellable.  A voxel would return to the raw material it used to be.

You break the core, you mine their ship's voxels, you melt down their elements into materials => sell those fresh materials for cash in the market, OR, even better, if you happen to have a shipyard of your own, free repairs for you and your ship.

Reducing your costs of production is as good as making a profit.

• 2 weeks later...

https://board.dualthegame.com/index.php?/topic/10000-kickstarter-ama-event-first-part/

"If Construct vs Construct' is a stretch goal, how about ""Construct vs Player""?

How are the PVP battles going to be if you don't get this ""Construct vs Construct"" stretch goal?"

First of all, if we don't reach a given Stretch Goal, is does not mean that the feature will never be implemented, but that it might be postponed to a (free) game expansion. Remember that this is a MMO, and unlike a singleplayer game, there is no "final" build. Now, Construct vs Construct combat means more precisely that we implement certain elements like weapons, shields, etc, that you will be able to use to make localized dammage to other constructs. If this damage hits a players inside the construct (or at the surface of a planet), this player will die and respawn. So, in effect, CvsC combat implies CvsPlayer too! Now, without CvsC combat you could still board enemy ships and take control of them by neutralizing the crew. Who knows, maybe this will become the prefered way of doing combat business in Dual!

You should be able to steal things.   Otherwise it's a strangled simulation.    Naturally, there should be attempts to protect property.   Even more naturally, there should be an arms race between property owner (and law bodies) and future  property owners of dubious morality..

Anyway the game tends to be inventive for the players. What should be added has to be, if considered achievable and still relevant. Same thing for the physics. Here we can deal with some Justice system created by the players.