Lets play grand theft spaceship

friendlytyrant03

You cannot steal something you do not own, that being said, should the core of the ship be destroyed I believe ownership of the construct is lost; therefore, someone can claim it by building a new core.

I don't know how everything will work, but I would like to see opportunity to steal ship if:

-No respawn unit on ship left

-No Core unit on ship left

-Player do not control ship

So if all 3 requirements are true, then anyone can take ship and work with it:

-All parts must be re-owned (As simple way, ship need to be hauled to player shipyard)

-Shipyard re-own all parts with fixed speed (fast or slow, that is Devs decision)

Of course, it can looks bit different, but I would like to see something like that.

This would make reason to attack some ships.

Thanks,

Archonious

You cannot steal something you do not own, that being said, should the core of the ship be destroyed I believe ownership of the construct is lost; therefore, someone can claim it by building a new core.

Aha so yeah in a way you can steal a ship, just remove the core. So the cores are player bounded? I can't steal a core to use it? Or can I to decipher it? Damn again more questions...

I believe there was also talk about "hacking" possibly being a thing in some capacity, so that you could control foreign elements without destroying anything. What that would exactly entail, who knows.

That was for territory installation on planets I suppose.

Question; other than blowing a hole in the side of it, how exactly could you board a ship that another player owns? Let alone find and destroy the core unit.

I hope they don't make ship controls/core units hackable. If they did, hacking would be something that involved both skill development and equipment. The higher the skill level/better the equipment, the harder it would be to defend against. The biggest problem would be that only major organizations could afford the tech to defend all forms of hacking, and even then, their members couldn't all afford it.

So someone from a pirate orgnization could simply steal all the ships he wanted from the less experienced/low-cash players just because he has the equipment and skills.

Question; other than blowing a hole in the side of it, how exactly could you board a ship that another player owns? Let alone find and destroy the core unit.

I hope they don't make ship controls/core units hackable. If they did, hacking would be something that involved both skill development and equipment. The higher the skill level/better the equipment, the harder it would be to defend against. The biggest problem would be that only major organizations could afford the tech to defend all forms of hacking, and even then, their members couldn't all afford it.

So someone from a pirate orgnization could simply steal all the ships he wanted from the less experienced/low-cash players just because he has the equipment and skills.

I would imagine you'd still need some kind of physical access, or at least get fairly close to the elements you'd want to hack. Otherwise a hacking mechanic would both be uninteresting and, as you say, potentially very unbalanced.

So can you steal ships and other vehicles if so is there a way to protect yourself from it? Let me know what you think and maybe even NQ can answer me

Build security systems. Alarms. AI controlled defence guns. Anti-boarding point defences.

This will be my personal approach:

https://youtu.be/5h4joX0iF9A

I think RDMS takes care of this. Someone can destroy your ship, but not steal it.

I can take a jackhammer, break down your ship's door, break your Core Unit and put in my Core Unit.

Your ship is now mine.

You can avoid that, by :

1) Parking your ship inside an asteroid field, where (hopefully) nobody will find you.

2) Parking your ship insde a space station that has people protecting it for a fee, given nobody will do something like a parking station out of charity.

3) Logging off in a safe-zone.

4) having a friend you trust to fly yourship (and you in it if you are logged off in it) back to your base.

Cheers!

Has there been an official statement on how to steal a construct?

I haven't seen it.

There's a thing, called sequiturial procession of information? It's what the layman may call "logic".

Devs had an AMA thread, First Part. If you find a construct that is not in a safezone, you can damage the voxels on it to destroy it.

Destroy voxels = make a door.

Find core unit ( it will be in the center of the ship most likely)

Destroy Core Unit. Place in its place, YOUR Core Unit (preferrably of the same size, hurr durr).

Congrats, you own a new space-ship.

On the sidenote, I'm starting a franchise of Space Parking Lots, along with a chain of motels, called TwerkMotels.

EDIT : LINK to the AMA.

It's also called "wishful thinking"

You're spouting assumptions as fact.

My ''assumptions'' for many things got proven right so far, it's why people in Discord ask me questions all the time. Unlike you, I make educated guesses, not assumptions.

Maybe it's because I ain't a carebear that shits bricks at the mere mention of danger. Read the AMA, start whining and know I'm coming for YOUR ships come launch.

(...)

If hacking constructs, and not just territories, becomes a thing, a way to deal with this problem is only making certain parts hackable.  

In this scenario you would be able to hack the guns, motor or controls of a ship to shut them down, basically making the ship more board-able, but not taking ownership until destroying the core after fighting your way through the player(s).

If hacking constructs, and not just territories, becomes a thing, a way to deal with this problem is only making certain parts hackable.  

In this scenario you would be able to hack the guns, motor or controls of a ship to shut them down, basically making the ship more board-able, but not taking ownership until destroying the core after fighting your way through the player(s).

I don't see why such limitations would be necessary if hacking requires direct access to the parts you want to take over. This is done in Space Engineers, where "hacking" requires a buzzsaw and a welder.

Why would you even care to board a ship if you need to destroy parts of it to take control anyway? Boarding is already bound to be a highly risky undertaking, I have no problem with the potential reward being complete control of the ship.

There is an interesting thing here that people are kind of ignoring regarding core destruction and placement, mainly we aren't sure how Editing rights works yet. Placing a core in a construct constitutes Editing. If Editing Rights is not tied to the ship's core, that whole "destroy their core, place your own core" system might not work.

The devs have mentioned hacking before, that players might be able to "hack" a TU. The same might go for a ship core? We might find that destroying a core in a ship and placing your core is not the answer to how theft will work in the game, but HACKING sounds like the key skill for theft. Wouldn't it make sense for a character who specialized in the hacking skill to have this ability?

food for thought.

From the latest AMA video, JC indicated damage would occure to mesh elements, with a "damage bubble" that would destroy voxels around the element and kill or harm avatars located within the "damage bubble".

I would assume destruction of the core unit will create a rather large "damage bubble".

A good designer would stratigically place their DPUs around the core unit, thereby ensuring their destuction as well.  This would turn the entire ship into a giant pile of "Legos".  You wouldn't have a usable construct after the destruction of the core unit.

You COULD replace the core unit, and tie a cockpit to some thrusters.  But I'm betting you're going to have a LOT of reconstruction before the thing is usable in any sort of fashion.