Random Wormholes

ATMLVE

I've been thinking of ways to make the exploration aspect of Dual Universe more interesting. Things that would be rare and awesome to find, but avoiding pre-made creations, something the devs want to stay away from. I haven't had much luck.

However, I did have one idea that I think, considering the current plans of the game, would be easy to implement, and that is random wormholes. They would act exactly and identically to stargates, which as many of you know are player-made FTL tunnels that allow quick travel between systems. There are a few catches that could make wormholes unique and separate from stargates, the main one being the first one:

- They do not remain open all the time. They may only be open for ten minutes, and closed for 10 real-life days, in a continuous cycle where timing is crucial.

- They spawn randomly; their entry and exit points are randomly located, whether inside systems or out.

- They might have a chance to destroy ships going through; what's fun without risk?

- They only have an entrance; no turning back!

- Their exit or entry points fluctuate. Could be 10 kilometers or 100 light years. Perhaps a cycle that players would need to figure out, i.e. entry-way remains fixed, but exit point is constantly moving in a circle, so it eventually returns to the same location.

A wormhole would work on the exact same mechanics as a stargate, except that it would obey any number of the rules listed above, making them unique and yet easy to implement once stargates are implemented too. Any other ideas of how wormholes could behave, or other ideas on what would make exploration more interesting and rewarding? Remember that the devs want to minimize pre-made stuff spawning in the game.

Interesting yeah I thought about something like that too. Should be funny, particularly if you don't see it coming. I remember how it looked in Interstellar ; easy to make yet stupefying, like a simple soap bubble.

How about the ability to harness the wormhole as a stargate? It obviously has a power source of its own in hyperspace, that is what causes it to open. So what if you could construct a stargate around the entrance and force it to stay open, running partially on the hyperspace energy and partly on a normal stargate energy source? The trick then would be to find a way to control the pattern of the exit, since, if you could do that, there would be no need of a stargate at the other end. (At least to get there, you would need to build one to get back.)

Or,

You could accept the activation pattern, ( open 10 minutes, closed 10 days,) and have a part-time stargate for free! Again, though, you would need a way to force it to link with other stargates instead of it's normal cyclic exit locations.

I've been thinking of ways to make the exploration aspect of Dual Universe more interesting. Things that would be rare and awesome to find, but avoiding pre-made creations, something the devs want to stay away from. I haven't had much luck.

However, I did have one idea that I think, considering the current plans of the game, would be easy to implement, and that is random wormholes. They would act exactly and identically to stargates, which as many of you know are player-made FTL tunnels that allow quick travel between systems. There are a few catches that could make wormholes unique and separate from stargates, the main one being the first one:

- They do not remain open all the time. They may only be open for ten minutes, and closed for 10 real-life days, in a continuous cycle where timing is crucial.

- They spawn randomly; their entry and exit points are randomly located, whether inside systems or out.

- They might have a chance to destroy ships going through; what's fun without risk?

- They only have an entrance; no turning back!

- Their exit or entry points fluctuate. Could be 10 kilometers or 100 light years. Perhaps a cycle that players would need to figure out, i.e. entry-way remains fixed, but exit point is constantly moving in a circle, so it eventually returns to the same location.

A wormhole would work on the exact same mechanics as a stargate, except that it would obey any number of the rules listed above, making them unique and yet easy to implement once stargates are implemented too. Any other ideas of how wormholes could behave, or other ideas on what would make exploration more interesting and rewarding? Remember that the devs want to minimize pre-made stuff spawning in the game.

I like this idea. This could also provide an interesting source for some super rare materials. Or perhaps it could provide an interesting additional transportation method. You could have random wormholes that appear between two already discovered systems. It stays for 24 - 48 hours and then vanishes. I think this would be a nice counterbalance to having stargates be rigidly controllable. Perhaps a rival alliance has their capital sealed off so as not to allow anyone access, but every once in a while it would be opened up to others entering, if only for a little while. The idea would be that it wouldn't be predictable and would take some work to find, but would add more content for explorers/smugglers and a new strategy for pirates/invading forces.