Livestock in DU

TrihXeen

I was just watching the DU AMA video, and a question they answered was that about livestock. Basically it was asking if we would be able to build farms, raise and breed animals for food and what not.

I personally only have experience with this in 2 games, minecraft and ark. Minecraft is super simple, you feed a couple of animals a certain food, and they will make babies. After that you are done, you don't have to feed it or anything.

In ark on the other hand, you have to mate the dinos, keep the egg a certain temp for it to hatch, then you have to be there while it is in its baby phase to put food in its inventory so it does starve. From there, depending on the dino, it could take 1-13 days for it to fully mature. You also have to keep food either in the dinos inventory or in a feeding troth for them to be able to eat.

If this were to become a thing, what would be the best way to handle raising these animals? I personally feel that Ark is a little much when it comes to raising animals, but Minecraft is too simple(for immersion). Maybe a mix of the two? I figured, you would feed them by hand to get them to mate, or even put them in their own pin, and they would make a baby after a given amount of time. But from there, you shouldn't have to be right on it making sure its eating.

What do you guys think? How would you want to see breeding done for animals if they were to implement it?

Thanks. I've read your signature and I agree totally. Your post is so clear and yet a little long I could read it all along without feeling any boredom.

I personally think that it shouldn't be as easy as in Minecraft, that game is purely a minimal game, focusing into simplicity, while DU is focusing on freedom, then complexity.

It should be difficult to raise animals. I would prefer if we wouldn't know how to do it (well we know the actions but not the process) and the breeding would differ from one environment to another, and even more from a planet with life to another (of course planets shouldn't all be with life on it, but migrating animals from a planet to another, or even creating hybrids of any types should be cool, I mean even though the chances to get a new species would be thin).

Farming and livestock raising would certainly be an interesting addition to the game. Perhaps even something along the lines of algae tanks or something. This would help provide some valuable use for areas that have been otherwise stripped of there useful resources, by offering some renewable resources.

Farming and livestock raising would certainly be an interesting addition to the game. Perhaps even something along the lines of algae tanks or something. This would help provide some valuable use for areas that have been otherwise stripped of there useful resources, by offering some renewable resources.

I'd agree there would need to be some sort of valued use for a resource depleted planet besides just the open building space for structures and or bases, at least until off world trade routs can reach and supply such locations.  Some form of self-sustaining farming of either crops or livestock could fill that role, and if it did that also gives that planets production some sort of value to organizations to hold as their own planet or shared space, given that it then could be a place producing food? Bio fuel? crafting chemicals? medical supplies even?

I can envision it.

"Where's Lord_Void?"

"At the ranch, feeding the chicken."

I would have to agree, MC is to simplistic and Ark to complex or rather time involving. 

As much as I wish it wasnt the case, some of us have things in the real world to attend to. So in a persistent game it becomes difficult to maintain things on the micro scale. 

While big groups can fill that problem, you would have to recruit from all timezones, when groups usually try to play around core timezone. But it also limits what a single player can do on their own. 

Im sure the devs will come up with something fitting. 

And the comment on algae tanks made me think of the Foundation series. Theres gunna be one group that is known for producing a superior quality algae. 

I can envision it.

"Where's Lord_Void?"

"At the ranch, feeding the chicken."

Well you know me, after a long day conducting space business I love to unwind with the nice soothing sound of chickens :D

In all seriousness though, having some more passive elements to the game could help bridge the gap between the moments when there is nothing to do and the moments when there is nothing but excitement. 

If it doesnt turn into a real life simulator I can see how this could be fun for many people. Meat, milk, hides for clothing etc. it would be a nice addition to the base game.

Farming in general would be very attractive to a certain type of player.

I am going to digress a bit, because I think they should include two "technology"(resource) branches.

One is, as you suggested, animal life.

The second should be plant life. 

Both of these unlocked a LOT of technology potential over the years, not just "food" and "wood". 

Plastics, petrol(fuels), most medicines, and protectives(clothing) are some of the few that come to mind.

Both of these REQUIRE land to be "held and sustained".  Initially LAND will be what we fight over, this will give context AND reason.

I find that this would add another "playability" dimension to the stated goal of the game PVP beyond hack and slash. It could add "renewable" resources into the economy that players need to survive. 

However, the requirement for the "renewability" would and should be Time investing in protecting and nurturing. Players on a planet that have invested Time into ANYTHING are more likely to defend it to the death. *shrug*

-Grimm Liberty

Well you know me, after a long day conducting space business I love to unwind with the nice soothing sound of chickens :D

In all seriousness though, having some more passive elements to the game could help bridge the gap between the moments when there is nothing to do and the moments when there is nothing but excitement. 

I mean, why not?

I mean, it's an incentive for people to have a home-base where they can have things to look after, or, hire a butler to look it after for you

Emergent butler gameplay, I dare you to find a game that has attempted thet. :P

I mean, why not?

I mean, it's an incentive for people to have a home-base where they can have things to look after, or, hire a butler to look it after for you

Emergent butler gameplay, I dare you to find a game that has attempted thet. :P

Butler... you just learned me a new word. Two in fact... incentive, okay I got that one.

Haha yea, I've scratched my head many times over it. But there seem to be people into that stuff.

People like all sorts of stuff, this is why a game like DUAL has so much potential. It's a sandbox. And that's why the more Emergent Gameplay exists, the better it can get.

If a person wants to be an Alfred to my Batman, I have no problem. I do need a capable tough old fella to count on keeping my Batcave safe.

As someone who has a lot of experience in rl animal husbandry I can say that it is not hard to raise livestock if you know what you're doing. I would suggest a system where you could leave the animals out to forage in the surrounding area. If you want them to breed you might have to feed them something rare that might cost a bit, but to just raise them it should be fairly simple.

This is not a survival game, it is an MMO. Raising livestock is way off-genre here.

As it stands right now, needing to eat food is not slated for this game, so there is no need that farming really fills here. This is not a small feature that is being asked for, I don't think the Devs would be up for adding something potentially complex on a whim. Also as it stands right now, animals aren't even going to be a part of the game (though they may add them in a future expansion as a PVE element).

This is not a survival game, it is an MMO. Raising livestock is way off-genre here.

As it stands right now, needing to eat food is not slated for this game, so there is no need that farming really fills here. This is not a small feature that is being asked for, I don't think the Devs would be up for adding something potentially complex on a whim. Also as it stands right now, animals aren't even going to be a part of the game (though they may add them in a future expansion as a PVE element).

Farming doesn't have to lead to food, it could also for example lead to fuel or plastics.

Farming doesn't have to lead to food, it could also for example lead to fuel or plastics.

you know, point taken. I was thinking about what animals would provide as far as crafting materials that you might not get other ways, but wool from an alien sheep might make a good wiring insulation or something like that. Heck or an animal that grows carbon nanotubes.

This would deff have to fall under the category of "maybe in an expansion"

DUAL is a sandbox MMO. Survival is part of the sandbox MMO.

It's like me saying your Knights and Squires and W/E you got going for you, is not part of the game because it's in space. 

The devs explained that their view is that people who want to have the food market in the game, they can have it. At launch, food will be an issue, but as the community progresses, food will become easier to get by. High-ration bars and all that stuff.

As for livestock, all I got to say is what I joked about with Lord_Void. If people want to play Tamagotch in a sandbox MMO, let them play Tamagotchi in a sandbox MMO. 

Cheers.

The devs explained that their view is that people who want to have the food market in the game, they can have it. At launch, food will be an issue, but as the community progresses, food will become easier to get by. High-ration bars and all that stuff.

Source? I don't recall the devs ever mentioning food

Source? I don't recall the devs ever mentioning food

In one of the youtube interviews he said he was playing around with the idea.

He said something along the lines of' as you go out into the world you might need some food. But if you are in a civilised area you wont need it.'

Picture him saying this in that lovely french accent of him. :P

In one of the youtube interviews he said he was playing around with the idea.

He said something along the lines of' as you go out into the world you might need some food. But if you are in a civilised area you wont need it.'

Picture him saying this in that lovely french accent of him. :P

Seems legit!

I'm not a huge fan of the idea that we might need to track food in an MMO, but hey, some of my favorite games do it. We'll just have to find out! (Makes part 1 of my story arc work).