As a matter of progression

Vandal_Noire

So I was playing Space Engineers last night because there is a forum thread "Show us your skills" or something like that where I wanted to build some ships for, and I got to thinking about skills in a game like this. I was building using light armor blocks and got to thinking  that it might be kind of cool if material types (ie wood, copper, iron, steel, titanium, adamantium) were useable based on skill level and blue prints that you purchase would change attributes based on your skill level to build them.

An example would be I buy a blue print from Yama and Yama is a master shipwright, he builds in Adamantium, so his ships are lightweight and tough as nails. I on the other hand and still using steel. I can build his blue prints, but in steel. My ship will be slower because its using steel and not as tough. Also If Yama has some advanced aeronautics in there I may have to purchase pre-made systems or use downgraded ones I have the ability to make, so in this example Yama has a Stealthy fighter able to take a hit and out run everything whilst I have a clunky slow ship that pretty much broadcasts its location to any sensors out there. Both ships may look the same but based on my skill level my ship is...functional but not desirable.

I think this would be a good thing because, in SWG (Star Wars Galaxies) people knew who built the best guns, ships armor ect and it would be cool to see a line into "Yama Dynamics Foundry" of people just waiting to purchase the new Yamamoto Kamikaze Fighter actually built by him but, for the budget strapped the ability o buy BPC's and craft their own though perhaps not with the quality of what Yama makes.

So I was playing Space Engineers last night because there is a forum thread "Show us your skills" or something like that where I wanted to build some ships for, and I got to thinking about skills in a game like this. I was building using light armor blocks and got to thinking  that it might be kind of cool if material types (ie wood, copper, iron, steel, titanium, adamantium) were useable based on skill level and blue prints that you purchase would change attributes based on your skill level to build them.

An example would be I buy a blue print from Yama and Yama is a master shipwright, he builds in Adamantium, so his ships are lightweight and tough as nails. I on the other hand and still using steel. I can build his blue prints, but in steel. My ship will be slower because its using steel and not as tough. Also If Yama has some advanced aeronautics in there I may have to purchase pre-made systems or use downgraded ones I have the ability to make, so in this example Yama has a Stealthy fighter able to take a hit and out run everything whilst I have a clunky slow ship that pretty much broadcasts its location to any sensors out there. Both ships may look the same but based on my skill level my ship is...functional but not desirable.

I think this would be a good thing because, in SWG (Star Wars Galaxies) people knew who built the best guns, ships armor ect and it would be cool to see a line into "Yama Dynamics Foundry" of people just waiting to purchase the new Yamamoto Kamikaze Fighter actually built by him but, for the budget strapped the ability o buy BPC's and craft their own though perhaps not with the quality of what Yama makes.

I think a great feature would be people mixing metals to make alloys.

Possibly gun powder mixtures?

I think a great feature would be people mixing metals to make alloys.

Possibly gun powder mixtures?

The big danger is that players will very quickly figure out the several alloys with the best min/max ratios, so all that dev time with to developing an alloy mixing system when they could spent far less time developing those several alloys in a more static way.