Welcome to Dual Universe
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

DevBlog - Organizations: build your corporation, faction, nation or empire!

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

Armilus

Armilus

• Pip
  • 3 posts

The Organisations thing sounds great as an idea, but there are a few things Id like to know:

It sounds like, the system would open the door for, say, Space Nazis.
There are people that would want to make that for sure. Either because they support that ideology IRL, or because they have seen Iron Sky, and want to Cosplay, like there will be Star Trek and Star Wars imitations.
How big would they need to get to get noticed? How big are they able to get, considering they are trying to play as space Nazis, and probably would be under attack constantly, and therefore most likely trapped inside a remote save zone soon, as everyone that doesnt want to play as a Nazi probably hates Nazis?
Disclaimer: I do not support Nazism nor do I agree with their Ideology. I just find them Interesting and like the Look of their Uniforms.

The Assumption is like a lot of players in one organisation, right?
Well, what if its actually a lot of organisations, but very few players per organisation?
Or, how succesfull can Players that do their thing on their own or in a small group become compared to a large empire or a giant amount of empires?
Say, If Im in a 12 people organisation that does not find any new members or legates other than me and the other 11, what are our chances to survive and thrive when surrounded by multiple organisations of 100+ members?
Can we still build large cities and something like that, or are we limited to one medium sized spaceship with a hidden base inside an asteroid?
And if we can, will those cities be empty of life?
Or can we populate them with NPCs that live there and mine and farm and defend the city on our behalf?

Another Scenario.
Lets say im an employee of a mineing company, and my Job is to harvest ore from an Astariod.
The Rhights, Duties and all of that allow me to do whatever it takes to mine the ore from that Rock, but the Amount of Ore I have to deliver per month in order to get paid instead of punished require me to mine about all the Time Im online with nothing to do to change that...
Can I leave the Company and join another one, where I can actually progress towards a goal I set myself?
And if so, who is gonna take my Job?
Some Player that is tired from being attacked from pirates and needs a break?
Some mineing robot?
An NPC?

In the first and second scenario, a small group struggles to survive because of the presence of multiple bigger ones.
In the last scenario, a single player is being surpressed by a large group he is a member in.
All of that can be summarized into one question: What stops the many from bullying the few? What stops the big fish from swallowing the smaller ones?
If that is not adressed, there will soon be three or four giant Empires that rule over everything, and new players/smaller organisations would have to go by their rules or leave the Game for good.

happahappa

happahappa

• Pip
  • 2 posts

There are many open questions, but I really love how this game doesn't want to be just a game, but some sort of integrated development environment for players to develop their own structures within this framework, even to the extend, that not just the usual 'material' objects are being developed by the player, but also more abstract objects like forms of social organisations. At least for those, who wish to do so. I'd really like to have a game, where all essential aspects become a competitive 'engineering' challenge between the players, which also allows so much creativity and variety to be set free, that all the people have at their heart.

• MinerMax555 likes this

MinerMax555

MinerMax555

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationItaly
  • Gold Founder

The Organisations thing sounds great as an idea, but there are a few things Id like to know:

The Assumption is like a lot of players in one organisation, right?
Well, what if its actually a lot of organisations, but very few players per organisation?
Or, how succesfull can Players that do their thing on their own or in a small group become compared to a large empire or a giant amount of empires?
Say, If Im in a 12 people organisation that does not find any new members or legates other than me and the other 11, what are our chances to survive and thrive when surrounded by multiple organisations of 100+ members?
Can we still build large cities and something like that, or are we limited to one medium sized spaceship with a hidden base inside an asteroid?
And if we can, will those cities be empty of life?
Or can we populate them with NPCs that live there and mine and farm and defend the city on our behalf?

Another Scenario.
Lets say im an employee of a mineing company, and my Job is to harvest ore from an Astariod.
The Rhights, Duties and all of that allow me to do whatever it takes to mine the ore from that Rock, but the Amount of Ore I have to deliver per month in order to get paid instead of punished require me to mine about all the Time Im online with nothing to do to change that...
Can I leave the Company and join another one, where I can actually progress towards a goal I set myself?
And if so, who is gonna take my Job?
Some Player that is tired from being attacked from pirates and needs a break?
Some mineing robot?
An NPC?

In the first and second scenario, a small group struggles to survive because of the presence of multiple bigger ones.
In the last scenario, a single player is being surpressed by a large group he is a member in.
All of that can be summarized into one question: What stops the many from bullying the few? What stops the big fish from swallowing the smaller ones?
If that is not adressed, there will soon be three or four giant Empires that rule over everything, and new players/smaller organisations would have to go by their rules or leave the Game for good.

no bots, no NPC.

To your questions: what stops big groups from bullying smaller: technically nothing. Smaller groups will exist in the outer-rim and in small niches in the economy, but the big orgs will dominate everything. But big orgs can't be controlled that easily and individual members will fell alone or treated unfairly. Those players will look for smaller orgs. Another thing: your small group of 12 people won't even be worth bothering for a big empire.

If you are bored from mining, you can leave the org at any moment. Another member of that org will do your job, if no one is there that org has severe problems and better should change some policies to be more attractive to new members. Currently, every org is hunting for more members (exactly the opposite of the real life, where every person looks out for a job, not the best one).

To your last question: those 3 or 4 empires might control all the core systems, but as said earlier, the game world will be unlimited. The central systems will be controlled by big empires, the inner-rim will be colonised by smaller groups, the outer-rim will be very dangerous because of the pirates, but some lonely colonies might exist. (this might be the situation 1 or 2 years after the release).

And you might overestimate it. those empires won't have patrols everywhere. Also, most orgs that I have seen so far support free trade and are open for alliances.

minermax555-small.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users