Welcome to Dual Universe
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

What Should DU Citizens Be Called

Citizen Name

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

Poll: What Should DU Citizens Be Called (46 member(s) have cast votes)

What do you think is a good name for DU Citizens as a collective group?

1. Just "Citizens" is fine. (4 votes [7.27%])

Percentage of vote: 7.27%

2. Colonists (18 votes [32.73%])

Percentage of vote: 32.73%

3. Novarkians (based on the arkship's name, "Novark".) (4 votes [7.27%])

Percentage of vote: 7.27%

4. Novarkites (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. Novarkers (1 votes [1.82%])

Percentage of vote: 1.82%

6. Something cool that isn't on the list. (Explain below.) (7 votes [12.73%])

Percentage of vote: 12.73%

7. Arkers (14 votes [25.45%])

Percentage of vote: 25.45%

8. Arkians (6 votes [10.91%])

Percentage of vote: 10.91%

9. Dualeers (1 votes [1.82%])

Percentage of vote: 1.82%

Vote Guests cannot vote

CaptainTwerkmotor

CaptainTwerkmotor

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3327 posts
  • LocationRaptor Squad HQ
  • Gold Founder

First Wave
Aliothians

The starting planet will change over the years so newbros can have access to raw minerals.

Aliothian is more a demonym to designate a person who lives in a safezone ,aka, a carebear no-risk player.

EVE palyers are called pilots off the game, to define the Player Characters and the players themselves.

I still stnad by my suggestion on Arker for a term used to define the player character. We all start from an Ark after all. The term comes more from my experience in Mass Effect 1, where you could set your past as "Spacer" - someone who was born and raised on board a ship in space, like a military child that moves cosntantly as their parents are reassigned to a new base. Arkers cover that wholely. :P

• Kuritho likes this

Warden

Warden

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 388 posts
  • Sapphire Founder

How about "Doggos"? No? Alright, fine...

• Falstaf, Kuritho and CaptainTwerkmotor like this

WU3heJ7.png

Larry_Tincreek

Larry_Tincreek

• Pip
  • 2 posts

"Dualeers" perhaps?

I was thinking "Dualists" first, but that sounds more like a political or philosophical affiliation. "Dualeer" sounds more practical.

Falstaf

Falstaf

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 822 posts
  • Gold Founder
Seems like colonists is "winning" at the moment.

AccuNut

AccuNut

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 231 posts
  • Silver Founder
Yes it is!

By the way, for those of you who voted before I added "Arkers" and "Arkians" to the poll, don't forget that you can always re-vote to include them if you like. You just have to press "Delete My Vote" and re-enter your choices.

Just an FYI. :)

Future partner in A.S.T.R.O.; AccuNut-Starkontrast Transportation and Resale Operations.

AccuNut

AccuNut

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 231 posts
  • Silver Founder
Hello Tincreek, welcome to the Dual Universe forums!

Dualeers is certainly descriptive, I will add it to the list!

Future partner in A.S.T.R.O.; AccuNut-Starkontrast Transportation and Resale Operations.

Anonymous

Anonymous

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  • LocationAustralia
  • Gold Founder

This is quite simple.

Those who were alive pre-leaving would refer to themselves by the identifier they previously used. Terran, Martian, Belter, Titan.

Those who are born on Alioth, or are so "native" as to having lost all previous connection - Aliothan (or Aliothi) would be appropriate.

Arkers, Novarkers etc etc would not likely be used since most people were on them less than a day or two really, in terms of "awake" time - mentally, most would likely feel the Ark was a bit like 'a very short bus trip where you fall asleep and have a vivid dream before being waken before you are ready because we're at your stop.'

HOWEVER - there is little chance that the countries which exist now would exist then, and a range of new "countries" would exist in some places, and have been dissolved in most, replaced with single world governments, or corporate powers. It's why I call my character an Terran (where I live) Anzaki (my cultural/genetic stock), not an Australian, and he politically is an Aetherean (as opposed to an Etherean, Alpha etc).

A more salient question would be "what are the countries of the world when we leave", or "what does a UMF'er call themselves", or "what languages are still spoken (and thus - what cultures still exist).

• Aetherios, Warden and Kurock like this

AccuNut

AccuNut

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 231 posts
  • Silver Founder
You make some good points Anonymous, however, I am looking for ideas about how the actual players on the other end of the internet would like to be referenced, be it here in the forums or in general conversation elsewhere. This does not necessarily have anything to do with the history of their character in the game.

You are absolutely correct, though. There will be various ways that people will refer to their characters, and the intricacies of each one's history may cause them to be recognized as a part of many groups, as you described.

Nadie

Nadie

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationLost
  • Gold Founder

A more salient question would be "what are the countries of the world when we leave", or "what does a UMF'er call themselves", or "what languages are still spoken (and thus - what cultures still exist).

Well, in the lore we can find have some answer to your questions:

-The worlds seems to be almost the same in terms of countries, only the fact that the UMF buildings are over the world.

-The UMF seems to be called representatives

-And copy-pasted : "By the end of the 22nd century, almost everyone was speaking at least two languages: the global language (the “common”) and their local native language, each city-state having somehow evolved a variant from their original country’s language."

Hope I have solved some of your questions.

To OP, I prefer the term Earthling in the way we are like aliens to Alioth...

• Kuritho and Anonymous like this

-maybe self destruction is the answer-

Check out our Warehouse Services at:

the Unnamed Warehouse safe depot

Falstaf

Falstaf

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 822 posts
  • Gold Founder
I think, if this thread can get a 100 votes we can go ahead and start using the popular vote?
  • AccuNut likes this

Anonymous

Anonymous

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  • LocationAustralia
  • Gold Founder
Well met Nadie :)

I personally am well aware of that in the Lore but find people tire of me pointing out stuff like that. /shrug. So to clarify - which city-states rose and dominated, in that sense. I have a personal and professional interest in spending time working that sort of fine detail no one ever sees but it's not always shared :P

It would seem we misundertood the OP however.

And in that context - yeah - just Players is fine. We don't need a label for each other beyond that, and externally it just makes us sound cultish, like EvEers or WoWers or any other social media tribe. In my mind - if DU us teh awesome, we don't need to label ourselves - only everyone else as we are the "normal" in terms of relative comparisons.

(And I may have spent too much of today buried in semantic modelling so also feel free to ignore me :) )
  • Aetherios and Lord_Void like this

Falstaf

Falstaf

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 822 posts
  • Gold Founder

(And I may have spent too much of today buried in semantic modelling so also feel free to ignore me :) )

Of course we wont mate.
Who else will keep track of all those obscure details?

You keep doing your thing man. ;)

Nadie

Nadie

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationLost
  • Gold Founder

nah, there is no reasons to ignore anyone. Your kind of interests help making the game more deep

-maybe self destruction is the answer-

Check out our Warehouse Services at:

the Unnamed Warehouse safe depot

AccuNut

AccuNut

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 231 posts
  • Silver Founder

I think, if this thread can get a 100 votes we can go ahead and start using the popular vote?

Sounds good to me! We are almost halfway there at this point.

Aetherios

Aetherios

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 770 posts
  • LocationWith the Aether Family.

"

Ha! 

"Darn noobs..."---Jamius, Frozen in Time. 

I loved the name: "Duals" rather than "Dualeers" (which sounds excessively forced  in my opinion). 

Pioneers - taken. 

Capsuleers - taken. 

Passengers - taken. 

Arkians --- It sounds remarkably like Arcadians...I can't remember where I heard that from. 

Arkers - We carry Arks...or make them...No offense. 

Novarkites - Is the best of the "Nova" names to me. Novarkers and Novarkians sound too superfluous. To keep it simple, Novarks would have done, where it not for the fact that the name seems to imply that there were plenty more Novarks than one. The name represents the plural form in my opinion. 

In conclusion, "Novarkites" and "Duals" are my best choices, though from the looks of it, the former is not a popular option. 

Cheers.

"

AccuNut

AccuNut

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 231 posts
  • Silver Founder
Thanks for the input Aetherios!
I had originally considered putting "Duals" on the list, along with "Dualers", but decided against it because those words sound virtually identical to "Duels" and "Duelers" both of which produce a very different picture than what is intended.

I am glad there was something else on the list you liked though! :)
  • Aetherios likes this

Kuritho

Kuritho

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 345 posts
  • LocationI'm Cybrex's Alt

Thanks for the input Aetherios!
I had originally considered putting "Duals" on the list, along with "Dualers", but decided against it because those words sound virtually identical to "Duels" and "Duelers" both of which produce a very different picture than what is intended.

I am glad there was something else on the list you liked though! :)

Why not Duet?

A pure synchronization/harmonization from that weird "Dual" dimension and the real dimension.

• Aetherios likes this

Leader of PRESERVE.

Cybrex's Alt

Atmosph3rik

Atmosph3rik

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
  • LocationWA
  • Silver Founder

DU DU heads.

Kurock

Kurock

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
  • LocationEmberstone
  • Sapphire Founder

"Duals" is the only one I would vaguely be interested in using.

"Aliothians" because everyone is reborn on Alioth (sometimes more than once).  This once is cute because when the next arkship is found, it will be on a planet with a different name and people can be named after that planet.  But this name is not very unifying.  So "Duals" gets my vote until something better comes along.

• Aetherios likes this
VGrt75k.png
What is the Cinderfall Syndicate? We are a group of organizations and individuals, combined in the common interest of freedom, security, and making DU a fun place for all. Member organizations are self governing with the only requirement being a non-aggression pact (NAP) between all members. Individuals can join as direct citizens and be free to do as they please under the NAP. Come visit us here to learn more.

Hades

Hades

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Ruby Founder

I think "Citizens" should be fine since, I have a feeling lots of organizations will have that as there starting role.

I disagree, too similar to Star Citizen ^^

Colonist or frontiersmen has a better ring to it... as civilization is more disheveled than in similar games ^^

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users