Welcome to Dual Universe
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Debate 9: Tech Tree Thoughts

Debate Debate 9 Tech Tree Thoughts Concepts Concept

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

mrjacobean

mrjacobean

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  • LocationAboard the Black Codex
  • Gold Founder

I think there should be some kind of science points. Quantum physics, Alien Ecology, Mathematics, Matter manipulation ect.

You should be able to get those by either reverse-engineering advanced equipment or by mainstream !SCIENCE!(I mean studying anomalies, setting up server parks to calculate ect.

To make it cooler the points should be stored on harddrives so they could be stealed.

And should be able to use your newly accuired points to research technologies.

The techs should use more than one type of points like if you want to make a Quantum tunneling drive you have to use up 15 quantum points and 10 mathematics and 3 matter manipulation.

This is basically Space station 13-s research system but way longer.

Thats an interesting point. Will skills be what determines the tech level? Or should there be another system that people have to collaborate for in order to unlock that tech for that org (who may then release the data to the public).

Techs include anything that the arkship did not come with, such as a warp drive or jumpgate, and improved versions of what we already have, like advanced refineries and larger thrusters.

Skills on the other hand are things that the player knows, such as the ability to build better elements or passive buffs to crafting (reduced craft time, increased quality, etc.).

gyurka66

gyurka66

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Thats an interesting point. Will skills be what determines the tech level? Or should there be another system that people have to collaborate for in order to unlock that tech for that org (who may then release the data to the public).

Techs include anything that the arkship did not come with, such as a warp drive or jumpgate, and improved versions of what we already have, like advanced refineries and larger thrusters.

Skills on the other hand are things that the player knows, such as the ability to build better elements or passive buffs to crafting (reduced craft time, increased quality, etc.).

Tech should only be the represenation of a general idea. so if you researched Photon thrusters that should'nt mean that you can instantly make one of any quality.

That's where skills should come into play.

Science tech --> Part Design --> Shipbuilding

Incudem

Incudem

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I believe the Circular /Adaptive research approach would be more player friendly on a game like this. You never know what might happen day to day in a survival game and this could help it be more forgiving. No one wants to be stuck out in space with a broken engine after your engineer rage quits and you have to re learn 20 skills in a tree to fix it.

Pang_Dread

Pang_Dread

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Gold Founder

I believe the Circular /Adaptive research approach would be more player friendly on a game like this. You never know what might happen day to day in a survival game and this could help it be more forgiving. No one wants to be stuck out in space with a broken engine after your engineer rage quits and you have to re learn 20 skills in a tree to fix it.

Well, it is an MMO after all, should be able to rely on help from more than just that one person. Suggesting that it should be fast or easy to learn new skills? Yeah no thanks. Again regardless of skill tree design it is still an MMO and you should have to rely on others to fill in the gaps of things that you lack.

• Falstaf, gyurka66 and Lethys like this

As I take my first steps outside the Ark Ship I look up to the night sky and say to myself... "Can't take the sky from me."

Kurock

Kurock

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
  • LocationEmberstone
  • Sapphire Founder

Well, it is an MMO after all, should be able to rely on help from more than just that one person. Suggesting that it should be fast or easy to learn new skills? Yeah no thanks. Again regardless of skill tree design it is still an MMO and you should have to rely on others to fill in the gaps of things that you lack.

Like most things, it's not that cut and dry.

It should be fast/easy to learn the basic skills. This way new people can quickly gain a taste for how the various aspects of the game plays before choosing a specific path to concentrate on. Does this mean you can quickly learn how to create advanced techs? No.  

• Falstaf and gyurka66 like this
VGrt75k.png
What is the Cinderfall Syndicate? We are a group of organizations and individuals, combined in the common interest of freedom, security, and making DU a fun place for all. Member organizations are self governing with the only requirement being a non-aggression pact (NAP) between all members. Individuals can join as direct citizens and be free to do as they please under the NAP. Come visit us here to learn more.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Debate, Debate 9, Tech Tree, Thoughts, Concepts, Concept

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users